Fiction Addiction

Do librarians know books? Yes! Check out the latest fiction reviews from an Indiana librarian!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mr. and Mrs. Bo Jo Jones by Ann Head


I read this book when I was a teenager and loved it then. I found it was back in print and couldn't resist taking it home and giving it another read .
The story takes place in the early 1960's in a little town in Georgia. July and Bo Jo are dating and find themselves in a predicament. After prom night July finds herself pregnant. What will she and Bo Jo do? She's only 16 and he's 17 and they didn't plan for their lives to turn out this way.
Even though the book is a little dated the basic themes are still relevant. The author captured quite well the thoughts and feelings that teenagers would have had when they found theirselves in this predicament.
When I read it in high school I predominately related to the teen agers. I was interested to see how the adults were presented now that I am a parent myself. I confess they didn't seem too nice to me, but then again this book took place during a time period that was much more conservative and roles for men and women were more rigidly enforced.
All in all I still liked July and Bo Jo's story. During the course of the story you see them mature and take charge of their own destiny. It's a bittersweet story but one you won't be sorry that you took time to explore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home