Fiction Addiction

Do librarians know books? Yes! Check out the latest fiction reviews from an Indiana librarian!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

How do you keep track of your reading?

A question I always like to ask reading friends is "How do you keep track of your reading?" If you're like me you may be in one or more book discussion groups in addition to the regular list of books you'd like to read.
Many friends have shared their book logs with me and it has always been fun to see how different their "systems" have been.
For myself I have two different composition notebooks. One book has all the information and discussion materials for the book discussion that I lead. Is is totally seperate from the other book that I keep. In the other one I have listed all the books that I have read by year. This goes back to 2002. Wish I'd started it earlier it didn't occur to me. I also keep lists of books that I want to read. That is an ongoing list. I also have a section for "reader's advisory" notes. I am a mystery fan and sometimes it's hard to keep track of all books in a particular series. So I have a section that I devote to that. One other section is a list of books that I'd like to give to others for gifts. Numerous times I've read a book that I have thought would appeal to a friend or family member and forgotten about it. By writing it down I don't forget and always have some "potential gift" ideas right on hand.
Not everyone keeps track of these things in the manner that I do. Maybe it's the "Librarian" in me that possesses me me to do it in this fashion. Any way you do it is perfectly fine. There are no rules to this . Some friends keep track of their reading in a small spiral book that they keep in their purse. Others keep their list on index cards. Some even devote a whole page in a notebook to making notes about each book read. Frankly I haven't been able to stay motivated to do that on a steady basis but I admire those who do.
No matter how you choose to keep track of your reading, or maybe you don't keep track at all, don't forget the whole point of reading..the enjoyment of new ideas and stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home